Coastal Ecology General Session Information
What to bring/wear:
- Wear old sneakers or water shoes for everyone (socks are not necessary)
- Shorts and a t-shirt over a bathing suit for girls
- T-shirt with a bathing suit for boys
- While a PFD (life preserver/personal flotation device) is provided, if your child has his/her own please feel free to send it (please put name on it) on Monday. We will hold it at school until Friday.
- Hats are helpful for all
- For Thursday Only: bring a towel and change of clothes
- Bring lunch each day. Students should bring a small cooler for sandwich, snacks, and a drink. Please label your cooler (and all of your child’s items) with your child’s name.
- Staff will be applying sunscreen and insect repellent at regular intervals. If your child is very fair skinned or has a special medical condition, please advise the staff.
About Thursday: Sapelo Island
- Please note that on THURSDAY, the campers will go to Sapelo Island.
- THEY MUST BE AT SCHOOL NO LATER THAN 6:30 AM, so that we will not miss the ferry boat to the island.
- The campers will return to school around 4:30 PM.
- We will provide an early morning snack and watermelons after we come off the beach. Students will rinse off at an outside shower and changing rooms are available.
TENTATIVE SCHEDULE for General Sessions:
- Monday 8:30 - 3:00: Visit Skidaway Island Marine Institute
- Tuesday 8:30 - 3:00 :Marsh studies of flora and fauna, crabbing
- Wednesday 8:30 - 3:00: Beach erosion study--Fort Pulaski & Tybee Island
- Thursday 6:30 - 4:30: Sapelo Island Trip – beach seines
- Friday 8:30 - 1:00: Discussion and group activities