Coastal Ecology Explorer Session Information
What to bring/wear:
- Wear old sneakers or water shoes for everyone (socks are not necessary)
- Shorts and a t-shirt over a bathing suit for girls
- T-shirt with a bathing suit for boys
- While a PFD (life preserver/personal flotation device) is provided, if your child has his/her own please feel free to send it (please put name on it) on Monday. We will hold it at school until Friday.
- Hats are helpful for all
- For Tuesday Only: bring a towel and change of clothes
- Bring lunch each day. Students should bring a small cooler for sandwich, snacks, and a drink. Please label your cooler (and all of your child’s items) with your child’s name.
- Staff will be applying sunscreen and insect repellent at regular intervals. If your child is very fair skinned or has a special medical condition, please advise the staff.
About Tuesday: Sapelo Island
- Please note that on TUESDAY, the campers will go to Sapelo Island.
- THEY MUST BE AT SCHOOL NO LATER THAN 6:30 AM, so that we will not miss the ferry boat to the island.
- The campers will return to school around 4:30 PM.
- We will provide an early morning snack and watermelons after we come off the beach. Students will rinse off at an outside shower and changing rooms are available.
About Thursday/Friday: Ecology Camp Sleep Over
- For Thursday camp-out, please send lunch
- We will provide Thursday’s supper and breakfast and lunch on Friday.
- Pack insect repellent, flashlight, change of clothes, sleeping bag, pillow, and tent if you have one.
- We will pair students up earlier in the week according to tent size.
TENTATIVE SCHEDULE for Explorer Session
- Monday 8:30 - 3:00 Visit Skidaway Island Marine Institute
- Tuesday 6:30 - 4:30 Sapelo Island Trip – beach seines
- Wednesday 8:30 - 3:00 Beach erosion study--Fort Pulaski & Tybee Island
- Thursday 8:30 AM Overnight camp out
- Friday Return from overnight - 1:00