Reports to: Camp Director
Oversees: Program Specialists and Program Counselors
- Pre-camp set-up and training in May 2018
- 10 weeks of Camp 5/29/18 - 8/3/18
- 8:00-5:00 PM
- As needed Thursdays for CMR overnight/extended days
- Weekends off
The Program Coordinator helps to further the mission of Camp Moon River through the planning and delivery of excellent programs, activities, and events. The Program Coordinator will design and deliver program activities that are safe, fun, and appropriate to the campers’ ages and abilities. This position will oversee all Program Specialists and will assist in the overall management of camp operations at the direction of the camp director. The Program Coordinator will work closely with the Head Counselor.
Essential Job Functions
- Deliver fun and meaningful programs to campers.
- Ensure plans are prepared and implemented that meet camp outcomes and the abilities of the campers.
- Evaluate program delivery abilities of staff.
- Evaluate the success of the program and the development of the campers’ abilities and skills in various program activities.
- Coordinate all camp program and campfire activities with other staff.
- Ensure that camp staff and campers know and follow safety procedures during camp programs. Assist in the implementation of staff training.
- Provide guidelines for programs utilizing camp equipment.
- Ensure campers and staff follow safety procedures in all program areas.
- Assist in the management and care of the physical facilities and equipment in all program areas.
- Oversee daily checks of area and equipment for safety, cleanliness, and good repair.
- Ensure that program areas are kept free of hazards and debris.
- Regularly monitor work of program specialists.
- Provide feedback and guidance to program specialists.
- Provide feedback to camp director regarding program specialists’ performances.
- In conjunction with the Head Counselor, develop and implement schedules and records for all areas of camp program and facilities.
- Create camper and group and program schedules.
- Develop and supervise staff schedule for programs and activities.
Other Job Duties
- Attend administrative staff meetings.
- Participate enthusiastically in all camp activities, providing support and guidance to those assigned as leaders.
- Participate as a member of the camp staff team to deliver and supervise evening programs, special events, overnights, and other all-camp activities and camp functions.
- Provide ongoing program ideas to counseling and activity area staff.
- Must be 21 or older.
- Experience in the development and delivery of programs and activities for similar population (ideally at a school, camp, or recreation center).
- Current instructional certification in program or related experience.
- Current certification in first aid and CPR.
Physical Aspects of the Position
- Ability to communicate and provide necessary instruction to campers and staff.
- Ability to observe camper behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate behavior-management techniques.
- Ability to observe staff behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate management techniques.
- Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to the activity.
- Physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid. Must be able to assist campers in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, or injury) and possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of campers.
- Some physical requirements of a program position could be endurance including standing, some bending, stooping, and stretching. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity to manipulate program equipment and program activities. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare, and communicate appropriate camper activities/programs. Willingness to work irregular hours delivering programs. Operate with daily exposure to the sun and heat and varying weather conditions.